Did you miss me? I don’t have any new reviews at the moment, but I need to get this out there. It’s long overdue, but I’m accepting this Sunshine Blogger Award! I would like to thank Megan AKA A Geeky Gal for the nomination! Sorry for the belated award, but better late than never, right?
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
Without further ado, here are my answers to Megan’s questions.
1. What song do you think makes people remember you?
Good question. I’d say for some of my friends back in college a while ago, it would be “Sunbittern” by Driver Eight. That chorus is simple and catchy. Driver Eight is also one of the most underrated indie rock bands of the 90s, and I will hear no word to the contrary. Their only album Watermelon is fantastic from start to finish with no bad songs on it.
2. What character would you choose to be your best friend?
There are so many tough choices out there. I might say Reki from Haibane Renmei. I found her character to be relatable. Both of us are creative individuals who do our best to care about others, but have dark pasts. I want her to get better and show that she’s not useless or worthless.
3. What book do you need to read/game you need to play/show you need to watch?
This is a very recent read, but I’ve been getting into the works of Cheikh Anta Diop over the past several months. One of his books I’d recommend is Civilization or Barbarism. He really breaks down African world history in ways you never learned in school by going way back to ancient times with the cradle of civilization. Dr. Diop has spent his life’s work with the history they never show in so many schools.
4. Have you smashed any personal goals recently?
Yes, actually! I finished a personal goal of writing 10 books. Half of them are published and the other half will be very very soon. 🙂
5. If someone wanted to understand you, what should they read, watch, and play?
So many potential choices. Haha! I might say a mix between the game show version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, Yugo the Negotiator, and a bit of Sun Ra’s music.
6. List your favorite fandoms and one character from each that you identify with.
Besides Haibane Renmei, I’d say some of my favorite fandoms and characters would be as follows:
Yugo the Negotiator (Yugo Beppu)
Shinesman (Shinesman Sepia)
Kimba the White Lion (Kimba)
Hikaru no Go (Isumi)
7. What are three things that you are enjoying right now?
In no particular order: A Compensatory Counter-Racist Code by Neely Fuller Jr., Konono No. 1’s discography, and some matches from UK based Riptide Wrestling.Yes, it’s quite random.
8. What is your favorite YouTube channel?
Dr. Mumbi Seraki. I learned a TON about Africa through her channel. She’s made great videos with subjects ranging from African history, doing city tours of various locales (the one of Nairobi was awesome with the smart apartments), advice to people, interviews, Namibia trying to get justice after Germany committed genocide against that country, and even calling out Disney for their cultural appropriation by trademarking “Hakuna Matata” (Seriously, WTF?! Screw corporate colonization!).
9. List three of your favorite songs right now.
10. What are some ways you practice self care that others might consider different or weird?
As far as self-care is concerned, it’s cooking more often than eating out or relying on a microwave. I’ve learned how to make fufu (an African dish), some custom avocado ramen stir fry, and some scrambled egg dishes recently.
11. What is the hardest part about blogging?
It’s being able to schedule everything outside of work and important tasks for me.
I now hereby nominate the following: