The award sweep continues as I was nominated by Ashley from The Review Heap! Thank you so much. Ashley has been a great blogger and as I mentioned in the Blogger Recognition Award post the other day, it’s crazy how we know and like some of the same anime. Real talk, I didn’t expect anyone else to review Kurogane Communication of all things for example. Alright. Here are the rules.
1. Display the logo.
2. Thank the bloggers for the award.
3. Answer the questions from the one who nominated you.
4. Nominate 7 to 10 bloggers.
5. Ask them 7 questions.
Without further ado, here are Ashley’s questions.
1. If you could tweak the ending to any series or film, what would you do?
There are so many to choose from, it’s not even funny. One example that comes to mind would be in Giant Robo by actually showing a real confrontation between the remaining Experts of Justice and Big Fire (the organization and leader of the same name). That anime was so epic, but I wished it went farther.
2. If you could replace any world leader with an anime character, who would you choose?
Ooh, you just had to ask someone from America that question, didn’t you? Good thing I don’t subscribe to any political party (long story) as I have severe problems with both of them for different reasons. The most obvious one would be replacing who’s in the Oval Office with Toga from Haibane Renmei. He would be wise, non-invasive of other nations, and I would feel like so many people who would be oppressed wouldn’t have to prove their humanity since he would know better given the human/Haibane dynamics in Glie.
3. What is your all time favourite anime action sequence? (doesn’t have to be a fight, of course)
That fight scene between Kurapika and Uvo from Hunter X Hunter has been a top pick for years and I managed to the fight from the original TV series years before it got famously remade.
4. Which anime (film/series/OVA) did you find yourself thinking about long after it ended?
I’d say Grave of the Fireflies. That movie when I first saw it really up-ended my understanding of how powerful storytelling can be in an animated context. Yes, I will admit that I’ve cried all three times I’ve seen it because it was that sad and moving at the same time. That movie puts so many “sad” scenes in famous films to shame and it’s not even close.
5. What would you say is your favourite anime OST (or just one song perhaps) and why?
Definitely Haibane Renmei. The music was so beautiful and fit every scene in that series. It can also be calming and meditative of sorts out-of-context from the original anime. The fact that Ko Otani hasn’t won awards for his scoring work is a joke and a half to me. I liked the symphonic elements with a bit of a Celtic and ambient vibe to it.
6. Who is your favourite director/writer and what do you want to see from them in the future?
I have to resist putting my favorite directors who have passed on for a question like this. As far as directors or writers who are still with us on this planet, I would say Nate Parker. If there was any director who deserves to slap Hollywood upside it’s head after what he went through, it’s him. Shame on everyone who fell for that false rape accusation nonsense and for sabotaging his directorial debut. The fact that he was demonized, yet Roman Polanski still has a career and treated with kids gloves is beyond sickening to me.
What would I have him direct? I would say he should try an original screenplay of sorts that involves someone who discovers their heritage through various records and tries to go to the country where his ancestors are from. He could try to fit into the culture while there is some distrust while there are those who see how he breaks stereotypes and legitimately wants to help.
7. Who are your top 3 character designers?
Yoshitoshi ABe, Roye Okupe, and Atsuko Ishida came to my mind first.
Here are my questions for you:
1. What is one obscure movie or anime that you know of that you wish was more popular?
2. As some people may know, I am very vocal about film plagiarism issues (Examples: Inception stealing major concepts from Paprika or The Lion King blatantly plagiarizing several characters, scenes, and plot points from Kimba the White Lion). If some movie did some cinematic thievery, what is one original film, TV series, or anime would you not want to see ripped off at all costs?
3. Who is the most underrated composer in your opinion?
4. Which country would you like to see some cinema from that’s not your homeland?
5. What are your biggest issues with the current Hollywood scene?
6. Finish this idea: (Name of protagonist here) would be the most interesting hero ever if…?
7. Who is one non-actor that should try voice acting? What kind of role(s) would they have?
Here are my nominees: